The Evangelical Free Church of America was formed in 1950 by the merger of two church bodies: the Swedish Evangelical Free Church and the Norwegian Danish Evangelical Free Church Association. Both groups were birthed in the revival movements of the late nineteenth century.
The Swedish group had it's formal beginnings in Boone, Iowa, at a conference held in October of 1884. In that same year, two Norwegian-Danish groups began to worship and fellowship together in Boston, Massachusetts and Tacoma, Washington. By 1912, both the Swedish Evangelical Free Church and the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Free Church Associations had been formed.
These two associations, representing 275 local congregations, were formally joined together as they gathered for a merger conference in June of 1950 at the Medicine Lake Conference Grounds near Minneapolis, Minnesota. The national office of the EFCA has been located in Minneapolis since the merger took place.
The Evangelical Free Church of Canon City was formed in April of 1974 by a small group of believers seeking Christian fellowship and Biblical truth in a nondenominational church which they named Community Bible Church. Two years later they affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America. In 1976, Rev. Paul Alleman was called as Pastor. Soon thereafter, our first building at 7th and Harrison was purchased. Over the years, the building was thoroughly renovated to maximize it's usefulness.
Rev. Jim Thulson was called as Pastor in September of 1982. As the congregation has grown, additional staff has been added. Through the years a broad range of ministries has emerged, motivated in large measure by the unique vision God has given individual members for sharing Christ.
With growth came the need for larger facilities. In the spring of 1993, 12 acres were pruchased at 3000 E. Main Street. We moved to our new church facility in September of 1995. The facility was expanded in 2001 providing a student center and additional children's classrooms.
In October 2006, the small hotel adjacent to the church was purchased. A cooperative ministry with Loaves & Fishes, the Canon City Pregnancy Center and the jail ministry emerged called New Creations Inn. This is a Christian-centered program dedicated to helping individuals and families transition from hopelessness to self sufficiency.